Installing the shell extension on shared computer?

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:05 PM
Hi,

Very nice tool. I installed it on a dev box that is shared between several programmers, who all access it via remote desktop. For me the extension works fine. for the other devs, the configurator crashes everytime they attempt to access one of the tabs (Editors/Targets/Extentions).

Is there a way to make one install of this shell extension, and its configuration options, available to all of us?

Thanks for the great extension.

cdj
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2009 at 6:47 AM
Hi

Sound like a bug, that the tool crashes when used from remote desktop! I have never tried this myself.

The crash is propably caused by the access from remote desktop. All configuration for each user, is placed beneath the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ardal\MSBuildShellExtension key in registry.

How does your developers logon via remote desktop. If they use the same user, your should make the configuration beneath that user in registry. If they use individual users, the tool should be configured for each user in registry.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
Thomas Ardal
Apr 3, 2009 at 2:23 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I get on box remotely myself, so it's not that per se. I think you're right about setting the key on each user's hkcu.

Would it be possible to setup the tool on hklm, so that all users could access it? (Or at least have the install option "Install for all users or only current?")

Thanks again,

cdj